She is.

To those who look away
when I grow teary eyed in the baby department-
look a little deeper.
Surely you have some compassion in your heart.

To those who change the subject
when I speak my son's name -
change your way of thinking.
It just might change your whole life.

To those who roll their eyes
and say that we barely had him at all -
how could we miss him so much -
in our hearts we have seen him live a thousand times. 

We have seen
his first steps
his first day of school
his wedding
and his children.
We are forced to have him forever in our hearts.

To those who don't say
to get on with my life -
I know you think it -
And I have -
It's a different life.

The life of a
grieving mother.

Don't judge a bereaved mother.
She comes in many forms.

She is breathing
but she is dying.

She may look young
but inside she has become ancient.

She smiles
but her heart sobs.

She walks, she talks, she cooks, she cleans, she works.

She IS.
But she IS NOT all at once.

She is here
but part of her is elsewhere for eternity.

Do not dismiss us
we have shaped more than the future generation.

We have released all the tiny angels
who are watching over you.

Comments

caitsmom said…
Wow, I truly needed to read this today, well, this week. It's been rough, and I've felt judged and hurded into behavior that doesn't meet my emotional needs. I don't know if you are part of the MISS Foundation, but I invite you to submit your words to the MISS newsletter. If they choose to publish, I think would help so many of us. Sending hugs. missfoundation.org
caitsmom said…
Wow, I truly needed to read this today, well, this week. It's been rough, and I've felt judged and hurded into behavior that doesn't meet my emotional needs. I don't know if you are part of the MISS Foundation, but I invite you to submit your words to the MISS newsletter. If they choose to publish, I think would help so many of us. Sending hugs. missfoundation.org
Once A Mother said…
So beautiful, heartfelt and profound. Thank you so much for writing and sharing this.
Once A Mother said…
So beautiful, heartfelt and profound. Thank you so much for writing and sharing this.
Such a beautiful poem!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!!
Such a beautiful poem!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!!
Holly said…
I really like this poem. It tells people to not dismiss us.
Holly said…
I really like this poem. It tells people to not dismiss us.
I really like this poem. I agree with Holly, it does adress the issue of people dismissing us and our grief. *HUGS*
I really like this poem. I agree with Holly, it does adress the issue of people dismissing us and our grief. *HUGS*
Salma said…
Hello,

I found my way here as you left a comment for Kristen on A Room of One's Own.

I very much needed this poem today. Thanks for sharing it, and I'm sorry for your loss.
Salma said…
Hello,

I found my way here as you left a comment for Kristen on A Room of One's Own.

I very much needed this poem today. Thanks for sharing it, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Popular Posts