Healed.

I wanted to shake out the demons on the last 8 months of life for those of you here today.  This is not an epiphany, I was not just struck down with the goodness of the Lord and granted peace and serenity.  I am not healed, I'm pretty sure I'll never be healed, but I have developed a few tasks that I attempt in my daily life.

I cry.  Yes, still.  Get over it.  I got to be a Mom, to a dead baby.  That puts me in some type of limbo place that nobody talks about.  There are plenty of manuals and books out there for parents of living children, but what about us baby-lost mamas?  There is no fucking manual for us.  So, deal with it.  I don't know what the hell I am doing, I don't know what is right, and I really don't care what you think of me.  I relate almost every single situation that I'm faced with now to the arrival of our dead son.  Is this situation going to be worse than February 19th?  Nope, and I made it through that day with a shred of dignity and hope, so this task can be accomplished today. 

I eat.  Duh.  We all do.  I'm not talking about food, I'm talking about eating up all the pleasant people around me.  Not the infected disease-y people that I hope disappear off this Earth forever.  I don't need your shit or your drama.  I'm talking about the people that still do give a shit about me, about Frank, and about us.  How are we doing?  Not great, we lost our only child.  But we still have each other.  There are too many people that I know that can't look Frank or us in the eye still.  And don't think that we can't hear the whispers when we enter a room:  "That's Frank and MaryBeth, ya know the one I told you about.  The ones who's baby died.  I wonder what she did wrong in her pregnancy so I don't do the same."  I would also like to confront the people that still tell me about how they lost their baby too, and lost 6 more after it, and are now infertile, and that I should give up hope.  Keep your shitty story to yourself, I AM NOT YOU.  So, I eat up those people, those close family and friends that still talk about my son as if he was actually here, and who don't tell me I should get over it already.  Stay close (you know who you are) because I appreciate you always listening to my rants and tears. And ask Frank how he is once in a while - he lost a baby too.  I'll eat you people up all day long.  And, by the way, I did absolutely nothing wrong during pregnancy to cause this to happen to me, I'll have you know.  I followed the list of shit I shouldn't eat or do, I exercised lightly, I took my prenatal vitamins.  Things I didn't do:  smoke crack, drink alcohol, and throw myself down the stairs.  Yet, there are plenty of women out there that do those, and still have healthy children.  WTF.


I let it all go.  This perfect little life that Frank and I created in the last 5 years went up in flames.  Who envies us now?  Didn't think so.  Our plans for parenthood are stuffed into a memory box.  Isn't that just awesome?  I  try to let go of all my preggy friends, their baby showers, their eventual healthy kids, and the inevitable growing up of their kids.  Something mine will never ever do.  So it genuinely pisses me off when one of them complains that their living child kept them up all night, or is teething and whiny, or how uncomfortable the last month of their pregnancy is making them.  Bitch, I never got any of that.  Please be courteous enough, compassionate enough even, to realize that I am the one standing in front of you when you say this, not one of your other friends that hasn't lost a baby.  So...you can see that I haven't quite mastered the 'letting go' stage, but I'm a work-in-progress just like anyone else.

Comments

Oh Marybeth, bless your heart! Thank you for posting this, its every gripe I have but didnt want to be the one to say it first. Lol, I love it! *Hugs*
Oh Marybeth, bless your heart! Thank you for posting this, its every gripe I have but didnt want to be the one to say it first. Lol, I love it! *Hugs*
Beth said…
i find myself relating all situatons to losing my daughter too.. it kind of ties in to both your "i cry" and "i eat" categories. hmm... really.. you're 9 months pregnant and the nursery planning isnt coming out quite right, and you're frustrated? is that so? well my baby died. i win.

glad you have people around you who seem to know the right things to say, to counteract all the ones who dont. i hold on to those right ones very tightly.
Beth said…
i find myself relating all situatons to losing my daughter too.. it kind of ties in to both your "i cry" and "i eat" categories. hmm... really.. you're 9 months pregnant and the nursery planning isnt coming out quite right, and you're frustrated? is that so? well my baby died. i win.

glad you have people around you who seem to know the right things to say, to counteract all the ones who dont. i hold on to those right ones very tightly.
Holly said…
I know that I can relate a lot of situations to losing Carleigh. Seems like every song can connect to it too in some way.

I hate the gripes too. I just want to shout BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE!!!
Holly said…
I know that I can relate a lot of situations to losing Carleigh. Seems like every song can connect to it too in some way.

I hate the gripes too. I just want to shout BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT YOU HAVE!!!
Christy said…
Yes. I've been having some of these moments lately--scared to challenge those who question why I feel the way I do. Read this post and it felt like a big healthy "vent" to the rest of the world. You go girl--I'm in *your* corner.
xxxooo
Christy
Christy said…
Yes. I've been having some of these moments lately--scared to challenge those who question why I feel the way I do. Read this post and it felt like a big healthy "vent" to the rest of the world. You go girl--I'm in *your* corner.
xxxooo
Christy
Emalee said…
I too feel the same way....Found you from a blog I follow.
Emalee said…
I too feel the same way....Found you from a blog I follow.
Kim said…
Each word that I just read, is a word I wish I had written.

Thank You!
Kim said…
Each word that I just read, is a word I wish I had written.

Thank You!
Anonymous said…
I also have an angel baby. Many years ago we lost ours. Do I still think about my lost miracle? Yes, definately.

I have been following your blog for some time now. My heart breaks for you and your husband.

I just wish you would not be so angry at people who DONT know what we have endured, but still, love us and care about us, to want us to feel better. They mean well by what they say and what they think. They want us to feel better. They are trying on our behalf. They just have never been through this so are at a loss of response or tact. Have I endured what you have? Yes. My own family, sisters, mothers, they had no idea what to say and thought leaving me totally alone was the way to go, not even a call to see if I was alright. Here many years later do I remember how I felt? yes, but I can not dwell. They did what they felt is right. It was wrong, but they didn't know better. I know that they love me and want me to be well.

When someone stops talking to you about how you can feel better and ask you questions, or to join them ANYWHERE, that means they have stopped caring.

In hindsight, I'd have been glad to know they cared enough about me.

Please don't be angry at what people don't know. They still love you.
Anonymous said…
I also have an angel baby. Many years ago we lost ours. Do I still think about my lost miracle? Yes, definately.

I have been following your blog for some time now. My heart breaks for you and your husband.

I just wish you would not be so angry at people who DONT know what we have endured, but still, love us and care about us, to want us to feel better. They mean well by what they say and what they think. They want us to feel better. They are trying on our behalf. They just have never been through this so are at a loss of response or tact. Have I endured what you have? Yes. My own family, sisters, mothers, they had no idea what to say and thought leaving me totally alone was the way to go, not even a call to see if I was alright. Here many years later do I remember how I felt? yes, but I can not dwell. They did what they felt is right. It was wrong, but they didn't know better. I know that they love me and want me to be well.

When someone stops talking to you about how you can feel better and ask you questions, or to join them ANYWHERE, that means they have stopped caring.

In hindsight, I'd have been glad to know they cared enough about me.

Please don't be angry at what people don't know. They still love you.

Popular Posts