23 Things.
The eve of New Year's Eve. 2009, almost over. Along with too many spectacular wishes, hopes, and dreams. Gone. I won't lie to you when I say that Frank and I changed the 2009 calendar on our refrigerator last weekend. What other hits can we take this year? It's not something that I'd want to record.
While changing that calendar over to 2010, I suggested that we sit down together and go through 2009 and try to come up with at least 10 things that made us happy this year, no matter how small. We came up with 23. You may find some of them silly, trivial, or crazy. Eff you, they are our 23 things, not yours.
1) Blackhawks hockey at Wrigley Field. Since tickets were at the least $250, Frank witnessed one of our favorite winter past times, in one of the most historical buildings in Chicago. Very cool.
2) My birthday surprise weekend. Frank surprised me and took me to Lake Geneva for my 30th birthday. Since I was pregnant at the time, I didn't think it would be very fun to watch all my friends get drunk for my birthday. I wanted a rollerskating party with short shorts and bad moustaches, but it was not a great idea in my condition. He got a room with lake views, and I had a mani/pedi. We had a candle lit dinner on the lake in one of the coolest buildings I have ever been in. It was an old mansion, and has since closed.
3) Frank found out Quinn was a boy! Yes, this is a happy moment in our year. I can't explain why, because I can't understand why this makes us so happy. I know that doesn't make sense, but neither does a dead baby.
4) Hawks Games. We discovered that our happy place is the United Center watching the Blackhawks play. It was the first place that we went 'out' to after Quinn died. It was the first time either of us had smiled, laughed, and high-fived in quite some time. (This is Frank and Larry)
5) The specialist said nothing was wrong. Once all the tests had been run on Quinn and I, the doctors had no answers. I think this is a good moment because it means we can move forward and hope.
6) Old friendships rekindled. We made amends with some dear friends. I've missed them, and I know that we will remain friends for a very long time. They have already proven to be just the type of people that Frank and I needed.
7) We ran races together. Frank and I ran some 5k's together throughout the spring and summer. In one of those races, we both placed 2nd in our age group! (Okay, I'll be honest, there was only one other 30 year old woman in my age group)
8) Frank's birthday. We rented out a GIANT inflatable room. There is nothing better than a group of 30 year olds jumping around acting like idiots. (Frank and I squaring off, before he eventually knocked me out!)
9) Hawks make it to the Playoffs! And we make it to some games.
11) Triathlon. I completed my second triathlon. And, it was 15 minutes faster than last year!
12) Frank's bowling team, BIG BALLS had a great season. We celebrated with a Pub Crawl from our house.
13) 5 years of Marriage! We celebrated with our dog Rudy in Door County. Although it rained, we enjoyed each other.
14) All the Whitman BBQ's. I taught at a school (Whitman) for 5 years, and built some pretty great friendships. We try to meet once a month and catch up. Hey Whitman ladies out there - Who's month is it???
15) Cubs Games. We saw 2 this year, and once was in the bleachers. My personal record for eating hotdogs at a Cubs game is 5.
16) My baby brother marries a GEM! And she makes the best maple cookies in the world, so I doubly approve of the marriage.
17) My other brother gets engaged! A wedding in Mexico in 2010! Another GEM! What a sweet, happy family.
18) Met a few Hawks Players. Frank's basement is INSANE. It's like a museum, but in a fun way. He tries to meet as many players in all sports, and places their signed memoribilia on the walls.
19) Our neice, Maddie, is a FIRST grader! And, can't be any smarter, or more gorgeous. We are so proud.
20) Dave wins the Golden Apple Award. Our brother-in-law won the Golden Apple Award. For those of you that don't know, the GA is an award given to extraordinary teachers. He was nominated by parents, students, and staff, and beat out a field of 1,000 other teachers in the Chicagoland area. It's a HUGE honor, and I feel lucky enough to not only know a GA teacher, but be related.
21) Frank and Steve go to Indy. This was a highlight for Frank, as he got to celebrate his best buddy's birthday with him. Steve has a scary man-crush on Peyton Manning, so they went to a Colts game.
22) A healthy Rudy. Our dog stayed healthy this year, except for the firework debachle. We have never left her alone on 4th of July, and never can again. She gets so scared, she has explosive diarrhea, no pun intended. Poor pooch.
23) Healthy neices, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, parents, and grandmas. Hey look, it has been a pretty good year.
HOWEVER:
There are a few things that I have learned about us this year. This year, Frank and I were the rule. Not the exception. Nothing special happened, there were no miracles, we didn't beat any odds. So, that means that we were nothing short of ordinary. The rule.
So, to make us the exception in 2010 (which is something that I'm sure you shouldn't force), I am going to approach this in a different manner:
I will continually be sending positivity out there into the universe.
And hope that I get some back.
On a different but slightly related note:
Remember the pin cushion? My wise and insightful sister-in-law suggested that I send out an all call for pins. All types of pins - hat pins, tailoring pins, hair pins... you name it. If you would be interested in sending me pins to aid in my fertility, I would love to add them. Email me at yomb1@aol.com to get my address.
Happiest, safest, merriest New Year to all. Frank and I are taking a limo to the Hawks game to celebrate.
I bet you're surprised.
While changing that calendar over to 2010, I suggested that we sit down together and go through 2009 and try to come up with at least 10 things that made us happy this year, no matter how small. We came up with 23. You may find some of them silly, trivial, or crazy. Eff you, they are our 23 things, not yours.
1) Blackhawks hockey at Wrigley Field. Since tickets were at the least $250, Frank witnessed one of our favorite winter past times, in one of the most historical buildings in Chicago. Very cool.
2) My birthday surprise weekend. Frank surprised me and took me to Lake Geneva for my 30th birthday. Since I was pregnant at the time, I didn't think it would be very fun to watch all my friends get drunk for my birthday. I wanted a rollerskating party with short shorts and bad moustaches, but it was not a great idea in my condition. He got a room with lake views, and I had a mani/pedi. We had a candle lit dinner on the lake in one of the coolest buildings I have ever been in. It was an old mansion, and has since closed.
3) Frank found out Quinn was a boy! Yes, this is a happy moment in our year. I can't explain why, because I can't understand why this makes us so happy. I know that doesn't make sense, but neither does a dead baby.
4) Hawks Games. We discovered that our happy place is the United Center watching the Blackhawks play. It was the first place that we went 'out' to after Quinn died. It was the first time either of us had smiled, laughed, and high-fived in quite some time. (This is Frank and Larry)
5) The specialist said nothing was wrong. Once all the tests had been run on Quinn and I, the doctors had no answers. I think this is a good moment because it means we can move forward and hope.
6) Old friendships rekindled. We made amends with some dear friends. I've missed them, and I know that we will remain friends for a very long time. They have already proven to be just the type of people that Frank and I needed.
7) We ran races together. Frank and I ran some 5k's together throughout the spring and summer. In one of those races, we both placed 2nd in our age group! (Okay, I'll be honest, there was only one other 30 year old woman in my age group)
8) Frank's birthday. We rented out a GIANT inflatable room. There is nothing better than a group of 30 year olds jumping around acting like idiots. (Frank and I squaring off, before he eventually knocked me out!)
9) Hawks make it to the Playoffs! And we make it to some games.
10) Our annual 'Trips Without Each Other'. We try to take a trip every year or every other year without each other. For Frank, it is usually golfing or fishing. And for me, it is usually camping, or to some mountain range. This year, Frank went to Canada, and I went to Montana.
11) Triathlon. I completed my second triathlon. And, it was 15 minutes faster than last year!
12) Frank's bowling team, BIG BALLS had a great season. We celebrated with a Pub Crawl from our house.
13) 5 years of Marriage! We celebrated with our dog Rudy in Door County. Although it rained, we enjoyed each other.
14) All the Whitman BBQ's. I taught at a school (Whitman) for 5 years, and built some pretty great friendships. We try to meet once a month and catch up. Hey Whitman ladies out there - Who's month is it???
15) Cubs Games. We saw 2 this year, and once was in the bleachers. My personal record for eating hotdogs at a Cubs game is 5.
16) My baby brother marries a GEM! And she makes the best maple cookies in the world, so I doubly approve of the marriage.
17) My other brother gets engaged! A wedding in Mexico in 2010! Another GEM! What a sweet, happy family.
18) Met a few Hawks Players. Frank's basement is INSANE. It's like a museum, but in a fun way. He tries to meet as many players in all sports, and places their signed memoribilia on the walls.
The basement:
Cubs Wall
Hockey Wall
Chicago Blackhawks Wall (Chicago Stadium chair)
Mimicking the Wrigley Brick and Ivy (and baskets full of garbage)
19) Our neice, Maddie, is a FIRST grader! And, can't be any smarter, or more gorgeous. We are so proud.
20) Dave wins the Golden Apple Award. Our brother-in-law won the Golden Apple Award. For those of you that don't know, the GA is an award given to extraordinary teachers. He was nominated by parents, students, and staff, and beat out a field of 1,000 other teachers in the Chicagoland area. It's a HUGE honor, and I feel lucky enough to not only know a GA teacher, but be related.
21) Frank and Steve go to Indy. This was a highlight for Frank, as he got to celebrate his best buddy's birthday with him. Steve has a scary man-crush on Peyton Manning, so they went to a Colts game.
22) A healthy Rudy. Our dog stayed healthy this year, except for the firework debachle. We have never left her alone on 4th of July, and never can again. She gets so scared, she has explosive diarrhea, no pun intended. Poor pooch.
23) Healthy neices, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, parents, and grandmas. Hey look, it has been a pretty good year.
HOWEVER:
There are a few things that I have learned about us this year. This year, Frank and I were the rule. Not the exception. Nothing special happened, there were no miracles, we didn't beat any odds. So, that means that we were nothing short of ordinary. The rule.
So, to make us the exception in 2010 (which is something that I'm sure you shouldn't force), I am going to approach this in a different manner:
I will continually be sending positivity out there into the universe.
And hope that I get some back.
On a different but slightly related note:
Remember the pin cushion? My wise and insightful sister-in-law suggested that I send out an all call for pins. All types of pins - hat pins, tailoring pins, hair pins... you name it. If you would be interested in sending me pins to aid in my fertility, I would love to add them. Email me at yomb1@aol.com to get my address.
Happiest, safest, merriest New Year to all. Frank and I are taking a limo to the Hawks game to celebrate.
I bet you're surprised.















Comments
P.S. I will definitely send you some pins whn I send the necklace!! xx
Love you guys!!!!
Yaooooooooo