Happy Father's Day

It must be very difficult
To be a man in grief,
Since "men don't cry" and "men are strong"
No tears can bring relief.

It must be very difficult
To stand up to the test,
And field the calls and visitors
So she can get some rest.

They always ask if she's all right
And what she's going through.
But seldom take his hand and ask,
"My friend, but how are you?"

He hears her crying in the night
And thinks his heart will break.
He dries her tears and comforts her,
But "stays strong" for her sake.

It must be very difficult
To start each day anew.
And try to be so very brave-
He lost his baby too.

I can't take credit for this, but I am unsure of the author. I thought it was fitting for today, for Frank. What I don't think people know is the amount of strength he has given me, and all the difficult things he has had to do to protect me. He's the one that filled out Quinn's death certificate, and quietly talked to me while I tried to sign it through sobs. He's the one that made all the arrangements with the funeral home, so I didn't have to think about it. He's the one that has answered my questions about being a mother. He's the one that has sat and held me countless nights while I cried. You all might not know this side of my husband, and I hope someday you really get to see the beauty of his heart. Frank is a great father, brother, uncle, son, friend, and a phenomenal husband.

Comments

Angie and Matt said…
I've always found that by writing/typing my words and how I feel have always helped me through things.

MaryBeth, your very eloquent yet firm with all of your entries here. The poem brought tears to my eyes but at the same time as I read through each of the entries I always saw strength, weather it was your words or just in you and Frank. You both are lucky to have each other.....

Matt read the blog this morning as well and he said, "A strong man will always do anything and everything to protect his wife and family... Frank was always and is that guy."

Love you guys,
Angie and Matt
Angie and Matt said…
I've always found that by writing/typing my words and how I feel have always helped me through things.

MaryBeth, your very eloquent yet firm with all of your entries here. The poem brought tears to my eyes but at the same time as I read through each of the entries I always saw strength, weather it was your words or just in you and Frank. You both are lucky to have each other.....

Matt read the blog this morning as well and he said, "A strong man will always do anything and everything to protect his wife and family... Frank was always and is that guy."

Love you guys,
Angie and Matt

Popular Posts