In The Trees.

The season of fall in Illinois can be unpredictible, with some days through September and October ranging between 50's and rain to 80's and sun.  But some fall days, the weather and surroundings are just perfect.  Yesterday was one of those days.  It was a fall day where the colors of the trees are just beginning to change, the wind is cool and light, the warm sun passes between fluffy clouds amidst a blue sky - a perfect 65 degrees. 

These are the days that I can't help but to be outside.  The air is as close to the smell of mountain air that I am going to get here in suburban Illinois, so I eat it up.  I always jump at the opportunity to work at a place that I like to call "In The Trees".  But I jump higher when it's a day like yesterday.


In The Trees is an outdoor camp  It's not really called In The Trees, that's just my name for it.  When we are actually in the trees, our activities range from a climbing tower to a high ropes course to teambuilding.  I love it here.  The attitude is relaxed, the scenery is gorgeous, and it always smells like it's just rained in the woods mixed with a smoldering campfire - a smell I would bottle if I could.  And, hey, it's camp, how bad could life be?

So, yesterday, I was at the climbing tower with a group of 11 year olds.  The very first kid that put on this harness, decided his challenge, and was clipped in was a brown haired, brown eyed boy. 

I asked him his name.  "Alright kiddo, what's your name?"
He looked up at me, "Quinn".
Startled, I replied, "Really?  That's my son's name!"
"No way!  Does he spell it with two N's like me?", he looked excited.
"Yes sir, he sure does."  I looked at his face, wondering what the parents of this Quinn looked like.
"Well, I don't know any other Quinn.  There's not many of us around."
Still fastening his gear I said, "Well, now you know another one."
"That's cool.  Can I climb now?"  he eagerly replied.

Keep the visits coming, Quinn.  I'm listening.


Comments

Rikki said…
Wow that is so amazing. I love it when little things happen that let you know they are still hangin around.
It looks so beautiful there.
xxx
Rikki said…
Wow that is so amazing. I love it when little things happen that let you know they are still hangin around.
It looks so beautiful there.
xxx
Once A Mother said…
awwww I love how Quinn finds ways to reach out to you.
Once A Mother said…
awwww I love how Quinn finds ways to reach out to you.
Yaooooo said…
Your live traffic feed 'thing'...I don't know if you see how many times I'm on your page, so I'll just admit that I check it almost everyday.

I've read this one about 5 times already and every time I do, I cry. BUT not out of sadness...it's happiness for you that Quinn dropped in to say hello...again. I LOVE that he surprises you with his visits.

Always & forever he will be with you and in your heart MaryBeth.....

Love,
YAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Yaooooo said…
Your live traffic feed 'thing'...I don't know if you see how many times I'm on your page, so I'll just admit that I check it almost everyday.

I've read this one about 5 times already and every time I do, I cry. BUT not out of sadness...it's happiness for you that Quinn dropped in to say hello...again. I LOVE that he surprises you with his visits.

Always & forever he will be with you and in your heart MaryBeth.....

Love,
YAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Popular Posts