Tradition.

Since I was a child, my mother has been purchasing one Christmas ornament a year for each of us (I have 2 younger brothers).  She adorned her tree with them come the holiday season, and when we each moved out we had a fair amount of ornaments to get our own tree started with.  I loved this family tradition, and couldn't wait to buy ornaments for my own children.

Obviously, this year has gone a lot different than planned.  I still wanted to buy an ornament for Q, but wasn't sure how Frank would feel about that.  So, I started off with this one. 




You might have seen it at Tar.get.  The hospital where I delivered has a tree that they dedicate for all lost baby-parents to decorate with an ornament that represents their family or their child.  We intend on placing the same ornament on their tree.

Frank and I were out this weekend doing some Christmas shopping, and we did our traditional walk through Woody's (a Christmas store) for the annual buying of a new ornament each.  In the last 5 years of our wedded bliss, we have added an ornament that is a snowman wearing a bikini, a buck wearing an orange jumpsuit, a camping tent with Santa's feet hanging out, and a movable I Love Lucy (remember the episode where she smashes the grapes?).  The weirder they are, the better.

I didn't intend on buying another one.  I was content with the Q.  Then I stumbled across this one:


A precious little blond baby sleeping on the moon among the stars.  I also added this one to the tree for a little extra oomph:


Did I ever mention that I LOOOOOVE Van Morrison?  This song makes me think of summer by a lake or bonfire.  Lots of beer.  Barefoot dancing in the smushed grass.  Tank tops and jean short wearing tanned bodies hanging out on picnic tables pushed together and smiling.  So while you all decorate for the holidays with your Christmas songs, this is what I'm listening to:





Comments

Once A Mother said…
I think these ornaments are just perfect.
Once A Mother said…
I think these ornaments are just perfect.
Holly said…
You can never have too many ornaments, right?? You can just get another tree! :) The moon one is really neat
Holly said…
You can never have too many ornaments, right?? You can just get another tree! :) The moon one is really neat
Tina said…
The ornaments are perfect!!! xx
Tina said…
The ornaments are perfect!!! xx
Kris said…
MB - The ornaments are perfect, absolutely perfect. My family does the same thing, and P and I have doing the same for the boys.
I am lighting a candle in my heart and saying a prayer for you, Frank and Quinn that all your Christmas wishes come true.
Miss ya girly,
Kris
Kris said…
MB - The ornaments are perfect, absolutely perfect. My family does the same thing, and P and I have doing the same for the boys.
I am lighting a candle in my heart and saying a prayer for you, Frank and Quinn that all your Christmas wishes come true.
Miss ya girly,
Kris
Beth said…
i love them, all three of them. i look for stuff like that all the time. right now target has "joy" stuff everywhere.. that is my daughter's middle name. and right now, victoria's secret pink has a line of dogs (you know, the dog is their "mascot" of sorts of the pink brand line of clothing) and the gold dog says "hope". naturally, i had to have it, free with any "pink" purchase. there is a red one that says love...and a silver one that i cant remember what it says..? but it wasnt joy. i checked! :)
Beth said…
i love them, all three of them. i look for stuff like that all the time. right now target has "joy" stuff everywhere.. that is my daughter's middle name. and right now, victoria's secret pink has a line of dogs (you know, the dog is their "mascot" of sorts of the pink brand line of clothing) and the gold dog says "hope". naturally, i had to have it, free with any "pink" purchase. there is a red one that says love...and a silver one that i cant remember what it says..? but it wasnt joy. i checked! :)
Beth said…
http://cgi.ebay.com/Victorias-Secret-Pink-Hope-Metallic-Plush-Dog-NWT_W0QQitemZ300373458323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45efa73d93
Beth said…
http://cgi.ebay.com/Victorias-Secret-Pink-Hope-Metallic-Plush-Dog-NWT_W0QQitemZ300373458323QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45efa73d93

Popular Posts